I love the start of Fall. It’s one of my favorite times when the leaves start turning red and orange. The days are still a warm, but evenings bring a slight chill so you can don light leathers and blazers. Transitional fashion (ie. adapting your summer fashion items for fall) is also the most fun. I like layering with my summer pieces. Think t-shirts worn under strappy dresses, jackets with cropped tops, or ankle boots with a miniskirt. It’s the contrast in textures that I find appealing – like this flowing floral jumpsuit with sheep skin leather.
Fall Fashion Outfit: Floral jumpsuit, Zara. Leather jacket, All Saints. Fringe boots, Rag & Bone. Rattan bag, Free People. Earrings, similar here. Photography: Steven D. Elliott
While I’ve been eyeing up items I want for my fall wardrobe since the start of August, if you don’t want to switch up your summer clothes just yet, here are some fall fashion items you probably already have to help with the transition.
1. Thin black turtleneck – great for layering under your summer dresses and jumpsuits.
L-R: Joie, Free People, Theory
2. Fishnet stockings – wear them under cropped pants with your kitten heels.
3. Handkerchief scarves/bandanas – tie one around your neck or wear it as a headband.
L-R: Scotch & Soda, Donni Charm
4. Kimonos – Perfect fall fashion transitional coverup, even with that black turtleneck! More about pajama-dressing and how to style them here.
L-R: Beltaine, Band of Gypsies
5. Midi skirts – This is the perfect length to show off those sock boots or slouchy boots that are so big for fall!
L-R: Lovers + Friends, Saloni, Bardot
6. Oversized blazer – Menswear is big again this season. Throw one over your mom jeans.
L-R: Majorelle, Smythe, BCBG Max Azria